It is disturbing seeing how goods worth thousands of Naira got raised down in a twinkling of an eye. And these traders whom it took years to build up their business empires are left empty handed
Fire on Monday gutted goods worth millions of naira at the yam, hotel, carpentry and foam sections of Bridge-head market in Onitsha, Anambra State.
The inferno, which lasted for about an hour, affected over 40 shops before it was put out by traders, who used fire extinguishers.
The destroyed goods included tubers of yam, wooden doors and chairs, assorted sizes of foam, saw machines and crates of soft drinks.
The cause of the fire could not be ascertained last night.
The victims, including Jude Nwufo, who lost wooden doors and chairs and Daniel Achu, who lost saw machines, appealed to the government for financial assistance.
The President-General of Bridge-head Market Traders’ Union, Mr. Sunday Obinze, conducting reporters round the market, said they suspected electrical fault.
The Secretary of Big Yam Sellers Association, Collins Onwunali, described as enormous, the extent of damage, but thanked that God that nobody died.
The market authority has banned the use of naked fire by the hoteliers or smoking with effect from January 1 ,2020
May God strengthen these affected traders and provide for them and their families.
Subscribe to our newsletter for more juicy updates videos and photos. Don’t forget to share this.